Last week FIFA quietly announced a proposal to hold the World Cup every 2 years, claiming that “it’s what the fans want”. Supporter groups around the world quickly refuted that statement with a petition from 58 groups in every confederation, and claim that FIFA never discussed any plans with supporters. International players are also speaking out against the plan saying it would effectively give them no break from playing year-round, and that it would make the event feel less important.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [RSL] Nick Rimando will be honored at halftime during the Sept. 18th game vs. Seattle Sounders for being the first RSL player to be join the Utah Sports Hall of Fame.
- [RSL] Ink’d up with Aaron Herrera.
- [SLT] Fans holding onto hope as 1 year passes since DLH announced team will be sold.
- [RSL] A photo gallery from last weekend’s RSL Unified match.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [NWSL] The expansion draft process has been released for the two new NWSL teams joining in 2021.
- [MLS] Former D.C. United coach Ben Olsen named club president of NWSL’s Washington Spirit.
- [MLS] New England Revolution are clearly in the Supporters Shield drivers seat with a 10-point lead and 10 games to play.
- [ACFC] Expansion team Angel City FC has been fined by NWSL for announcing Christen Press transfer before deal was official.
- [USSP] Ambition vs Expectation in the MLS Playoff race.
- [SI][GMS][Independent][Telegraph] NWSL’s plan to hold the league final on artificial turf and at 9 AM angers players and fans alike.
- [FRS][TheScore] An updated report on the reasons Weston McKennie was dismissed by the USMNT reveal that he broke the Covid protocol twice.
- [MLS] Jesse Marsch open to returning to coach the USMNT - if the timing is right.
- [FRS] The first round of US Open Cup qualifying starts this weekend.
- [FFT][Goal][Guardian][Goal(2)] Upon request by Brazil’s Football Association, FIFA has responded to the EPL’s refusal to release players for international duty by barring 8 Brazilians from playing in this weekend’s games. Chile, Mexico and Paraguay have also asked FIFA to do the same for their players, presently only 5 teams are affected, but that will grow if the other nations are added and could eventually cause up to 1⁄3 of the EPL’s teams to bench players.
- [Goal] Lionel Messi appears to be stepping into the void left by Diego Maradonna as the spokesperson / figurehead for Argentine Soccer.
- [Guardian] Former England and West Ham defender addressed parliament on the issue of racism in sports, and said that social media’s failure to act will lead to tragedy.
- [SI] Argentina, Brazil and CONMEBOL are all facing disciplinary action by FIFA for last week’s suspended game over Covid violations.
- [OGM] Sarina Wiegman officially takes the helm of the English Women’s Team to start European Championship run.
- [TPT] We need to keep talking about the Human Rights issues in the Qatar World Cup.
- [FIFA] World Cup 22 qualifying results from around the world.