It took 5 years, but Los Angeles FC has finally won the MLS Cup. It was a back-and-forth game with Philadelphia Union equalizing twice before getting the latest go-ahead goal in MLS Cup history in the 124th minute... that is until Gareth Bale equalized for LAFC in the 128th minute to send the game to PK’s.
LAFC is only the 8th team to win the double (Supporters Shield and MLS Cup), and the first since 2017.
REAL SALT LAKE / UTAH
- [RSL] 15 RSL, Real Monarchs, and Academy players will be heading to Europe for training tours with other teams in David Blitzer’s ownership group.
- [RSL] Defender Bryan Oviedo has been named to the Costa Rica World Cup squad.
MLS / USL / NWSL
- [BB][TS] Rumors are increasing that Inter Miami is the leading team to land Lionel Messi when his contract expires with Paris Saint Germain in 2023.
- [NWSL][STF] Portland Thorns win NWSL cup for the 3rd time.
- [SBI][TS] MLS Commissioner Don Garber is ‘keeping an open mind’ on a new playoff format. Rumors have circulated on using a World Cup style group stage first round.
- [CBS] Two weeks to the FIFA World Cup!
- [USS][FRS] US Soccer has formed a new Participant Safety Taskforce as a follow-up to the shocking Yates Report.
- [NBC][SI] Gregg Berhalter will announce the USMNT World Cup squad on Nov. 9th, here’s some predicted rosters.
- [DS] A fistfight broke out in a Women’s SEC game between Ole Miss and LSU.
- [FFT] Ranking the World Cup crests.
- [NBC] 10 things learned from week 15 of the EPL.
- [SI][TS] FIFA warns all World Cup teams to ‘stick to football’ and not politics of the host nation. Amnesty International issued a sharp rebuke of the idea.
- [TG][ESPN] England and Germany are among 10 European Football Associations urging FIFA to compensate World Cup workers for Qatar’s human rights violations.