Jefferson Savarino. Need I say more? That’s what everyone’s thinking about with Saturday’s match, and I’m right there with everyone. After all, he’s back, and he very well could play.
What RSL needs to do to win
Houston simply hasn’t been scoring goals at any great clip — a little more than once a game over their last eight — but neither has RSL, who haven’t scored more than nine goals in an eight-game period.
Houston has also been slightly better at not conceding goals, with 10 conceded in their last eight. RSL? They’ve conceded 13 goals in every eight-game stretch this season. RSL has managed to win a couple more games than Houston, but these two teams look very similar in some very surface-level considerations.
Match details and forecast
- Who: Real Salt Lake vs. Houston Dynamo
- Where: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
- When: 7:30 p.m. published kickoff time
- Forecast: Showers earlier in the day with temperatures warming up to mid-50s to low-60s around kickoff time. Showers and rain slated to start early Sunday morning. Bring something warm and waterproof.
Injuries and Absences
- Zack Farnsworth is still out, and I’m pretty sure he does actually exist
- Bret Halsey is also still out
- Damir Kreilach remains out with a nerve issue in his back
- Jonathan Menendez is said to be getting closer to a return, but it’s still far too soon.
- Erik Holt is questionable as he recovers from a plantar fascia issue. Don’t expect him back for this one.
- Anderson Julio is also questionable with a hamstring strain.
On assignment with Real Monarchs
- Jeff Dewsnup
- Chris Garcia
- Bode Davis
- Gavin Beavers
- Julio Benitez
- Jude Wellings
- Axel Kei
- Jaziel Orozco
Predicted Lineup and Formation
Herrera, Glad, Silva, Brody
Chang, Ruiz, Caldwell, Savarino
- Don’t be surprised if Jasper Löffelsend starts in place of Caldwell — he’s been an impressive figure in his last two starts. A real breakout player this year.
- Does Savarino start? If he does, who does he replace? Is Justin Meram sent to the bench? Maikel Chang? Sergio Cordova? There are options.
Last ten matches
- Sun., Feb 27, 2022: Houston Dynamo 0-0 Real Salt Lake
- Wed., Aug 18, 2021: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Houston Dynamo
- Sat., Jul 31, 2021: Houston Dynamo 0-0 Real Salt Lake
- Sat., Jun 26, 2021: Real Salt Lake 1-1 Houston Dynamo
- Sun., Sep 29, 2019: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Houston Dynamo
- Sat., Mar 2, 2019: Houston Dynamo 1-1 Real Salt Lake
- Sat., Aug 18, 2018: Houston Dynamo 1-2 Real Salt Lake
- Wed., May 30, 2018: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Houston Dynamo
- Sat., Aug 5, 2017: Real Salt Lake 0-0 Houston Dynamo
- Wed., May 31, 2017: Houston Dynamo 5-1 Real Salt Lake