clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Monarchs come from behind twice in 2-2 deadlock with San Antonio FC

A penalty conversion by Chandler Hoffman and a late header by Max Lachowecki allow the Monarchs to walk out of Toyota Field with a point.

JEngels Photography

After watching the RSL-Sporting KC match Saturday evening, the Monarchs’ early match at Toyota Park in San Antonio now seems to be an eerily close mirror image and lesson in judging things from one viewpoint.

Both matches had visiting teams who are leading their conference. Both matches saw the home team take an initial lead. Both matches had the visitors receive a soft penalty which they converted to tie up the score. Both matches had the home teams send several shots off the woodwork. Both had relatively poor outings by the officiating crew and featured notable flops on both sides although more noticeable and vocally commented upon by the visitors. Both had the visitors feeling good about taking a point on the road in difficult circumstances.

In short, everything that I could complement, and chastise, the Monarchs about I could with equal justification complement, and chastise, Sporting KC. And on the other hand everything I could feel frustrated about with Saturday’s performance by RSL I think would find equal measure and vigor from a San Antonio FC fan. At times, it is just better to accept the point and move forward to the next game.

San Antonio FC came out pushing hard on offense and apparently surprised the Monarchs and delighted their fans when 18-year-old Devin Vega received an excellent ball through from Billy Forbes and gave San Antonio a 1-0 lead.

Less than five minutes later the Monarchs were gifted with a soft, but justified pk, when Sebastien Ibeagha, another mid-season Fan MVP candidate brought Chandler Hoffman down just inside the area. Chandler Hoffman did a fine job of converting and the first half ended with the score tied at 1-1.

San Antonio came out of the locker room looking determined to continue taking the game to the Monarchs. Their pressure resulted in a second goal in the 68’ when Kris Tyrpak had a rebound from Sebastien Ibeagha effort come across the mouth of the goal to him for a close, but well taken, shot which gave the home side a second lead at 2-1.

The Monarchs looked good in patches but nothing really developed until Chase Minter found Max Lachowecki with a long cross in the 86’. Max headed it home for his second goal in two matches and tied the score at 2-2 where it remained.

While I am sure many San Antonio fans left the stadium feeling hard done by, I was happy to see the Monarchs fight back twice in difficult circumstances and echo the following tweet from Head Coach Mark Briggs.


27’ – SA – Devin Vega (Billy Forbes)

32’ – SLC – Chandler Hoffman (penalty)

68’ – SA – Kris Trypak (Sebastien Ibeagha)

86’ – SLC – Max Lachowecki (Chase Minter)


Yellow Cards

45’+ – SLC – Michael Gallagher

46’ – SLC – Max Lachowecki

53’ – SA – Stephen McCarthy

Real Monarchs SLC: (4-2-3-1) Sparrow; Curinga, Moberg, Gallagher, Lachowecki; Besler, Adams; Hanlin (Dunk 61’ ), Haber, Brody (Minter 22’); Hoffman (Desire 90+’)

San Antonio FC: (4-2-3-1) Restrepo; Hendrick, Ibeagha, McCarthy, Cochrane; Reed, Tyrpak (Elizondo 80’); Vega (Rodriguez 84’), Castillo, Forbes; Ajeakwa

Three Highlights for the Monarchs:

  1. The Monarchs were able to put 2 goals on the board against a team that had only allowed 8 in their previous 17 matches and never two in their home stadium.
  2. Charlie Adams returned to the field after missing several matches due to injury and helped provide an offensive spark.
  3. The Monarchs came from behind twice and took whatever San Antonio allowed them.


USLSOCCER.COM: Monarchs Strike Late to Level vs. SAFC