The wait is nearly over. In just a matter of days, the Utah Royals FC, after months of preparation and anticipation, will begin their journey towards the 2018 NWSL season, the club’s inaugural season in Utah. Preseason officially begins on Monday, February 19 and goes until the start of the season on March 23.
Preseason will feature training camp sessions at Zions Bank Training Center and scrimmages against Brigham Young University on Saturday, March 3 and the UCLA Bruins on Friday, March 17. The team will travel to California on a six-day trip from March 12-17 to take on UCLA.
Laura Harvey and the Royals will begin the preseason on Monday morning at the club’s facility in Herriman, Utah, which is 15 minutes away from Rio Tinto Stadium where the team will play their home games.
Royals fans should be aware that prominent members of their respective national teams will not be in preseason training right away.
- U.S. National Team defender Kelley O’Hara will join the USWNT camp starting on February 19 in preparation for the SheBelieves Cup that runs March 1-7.
- Canada National Team members Desiree Scott, Diana Matheson, and Meagan Kelly will participate in the Algarve Cup from February 28-March 7 in Portugal.
- Gunnhildur “Gunny” Jonsdottir (Iceland), Elise Thorsnes (Norway), and Katie Bowen (New Zealand) will also play in the Algarve Cup tournament.
- Australian Katrina Gorry is another player competing the Algarve Cup with Australia. Gorry is not expected to arrive in Utah until after April 20. Australia will take part in FIFA 2019 France World Cup Qualifying matches beginning on April 6.
The majority of the club’s international players are expected to return on Friday, March 9 for the remainder of the preseason.
Much will be decided during the preseason, including finalizing a roster to 18-20 players (not including former Boston Breakers players) and building team chemistry as a majority of the FC Kansas City roster committed to Utah with the addition of new players brought in through trades, additional signings, and a Dispersal Draft.
Get ready, Utah fans. NWSL preseason will prep the way for the 2018 season.
Utah Royals FC Preseason Roster
- Abby Smith*
- Nicole Barnhart
- Kelley O’Hara (U.S. National Team federation player)
- Brooke Elby*
- Sydney Miramontez
- Becca Moros
- Alex Arlitt
- Katie Bowen (New Zealand international)
- Becky Sauerbrunn (U.S. National Team federation player)
- Brittany Taylor Kolmel
- Gunnhildur Jónsdóttir (Iceland international)
- Taylor Lytle
- Erika Tymrak
- Diana Matheson (Canada federation player)
- Lo’eau LaBonta
- Mandy Laddish
- Desiree Scott (Canada federation player)
- Alexa Newfield
- Katrina Gorry (Australia International)
- Katie Stengel*
- Meagan Kelly
- Brittany Ratcliffe
- Amy Rodriguez (U.S. National Team federation player)
- Elise Thorsnes (Norway international)
*Smith, Elby, and Stengel were selected in the Boston Breakers Dispersal Draft and will not count against the 2018 player/salary cap or require an international slot.